Sunday 21 July 2013

The Mad Hatter, the Doormouse and endless buttons!

After trying to dye the coat with a highly concentrated Dylon dye mix - 500g salt, 2 sachets of Intense Violet and 9 litres of water - the coat has come out...still exactly the same colour, very dissapointing since the coat is viscose and the dye said it would work on it, but we think the coat may have been treated and that is why it did not work. Because of this, tomorrow I will be painting patterns onto the coat with purple fabric paint - this will not make it one uniform colour but will add to the overall visual texture of the coat and overall that is the look we want for the show - bright, quirky and interesting. It is not an ideal solution as it will take a lot longer but it may turn out to be more visually interesting.
In terms of buttons, I managed to get ahold of another four bags of buttons, these ones brighter then the ones I have already collected. There were a number of  unsuitable buttons in with them - ones that would not show up brightly, or in some cases would not show up at all, and so after sorting through we are left with over 400 more to add to the collection! Whether this will be enough for all of the costumes is questionable but hopefully we will have more button donations!




With the coat drying, and the buttons sorted, I have been given the new task of finding a waistcoat for the Doormouse, as it needed to be ordered by tomorrow and Tanya had been unable to order one. I managed to find the waistcoat I wanted at a good price and have arranged for it to be delivered in the next two days when I should be able to have it fully decorated in time to give to Tanya at our meeting on Thursday.


On to the last issue of the day - the costumes for Tanya and myself. After issues in the crowds from last year where the production team, myself and Tanya included, had difficulty finding each other the organiser Becki has requested that we all wear bright, more easily recognisable costumes. With this in mind I designed a dress each for Tanya and myself, and one for the organiser Becki. However, due to lack of remaining time Tanya will not be able to get these costumes made so I have redesigned them to be adapted from easily found bought dresses. They still stick to the same colour scheme but they are less elabourate and quicker and easier to make.
The designs have had to be done quickly, as I only designed them this afternoon and they are being sent to Tanya online tonight.

The two designs, Tanya on the left and myself on the right, are meant to reflect loosely the colour schemes and characters of the two opposing natures of the characters - Tanya's being closer to the Red Queen, and myself closer the the White Queen and Alice.
They are much more simplistic then the original designs however with the button embellishments and the glittery top hat fascinators they will still be recognisable in a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment