Thursday 24 October 2013

Post show review! No Pasaran!

No Pasaran is now done! The show was well attended, and thankfully there were no technical problems or cast disasters during the run (though there were a couple of pairs of ripped trousers!) I was joined in my backstage crew duties by Michael Ellis for all four run days, and for the final day Ludovic Scott joined to assist for the final two shows under stage manager Tash.
 
With the make-up artist dealing with the rest of the cast I ended up doing the scar make-up for Tom Robinson (playing Jimmy, an irishman turned Fascist) which needed to be applied during the interval of every show, showing the time progression and was a very interesting and fun experience as I have never done scar make-up before. During the second act there was a backstage lul during which myself and the other crew got to enter the back of the audience and watch a little of the show - so I am relieved to say that even from the back the scar was visible and looked realistic.
 
Tom backstage getting into character when I finished his scar.
 
The show itself was a little like Les Miserable crossed with Miss Saigon in that there was no dialogue with everything being sung save the sporadic naration from the 'Grandson' of the main character. Included in the show were also a number of spectacular flamenco performances.
 
The projection provided an interesting backdrop (one of the first things I did when the projection came up was mark a line on the stage at the back for the actors to stay in front of where the projection would hit them) but the physical set that Roy had hoped for in terms of the mobile spiral staircase with balcony and the mobile half tank, never materialised due to an issue with the contractors. Despite this the lack was not noticable and did not, in any way that I could see, impact the running of the show.
 
Since the show, myself and the cast have been emailed two reviews of the show - one from a member of the International Brigade Memorial Trust, and one from NODA; please see below!
 
 
Unfortunately I cannot find the NODA one on their website as I believe you must be a subscriber for that, but if you are a subscriber please let me know if you see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment