Tuesday 30 June 2015

A Bit of the 50's!

On Sunday night, my friend asked me the best place to get a circle skirt, 50's style, for a hen party at the weekend. There is nowhere about where we are to get one in person on any kind of budget and online the delivery was more likely to be some time next week, so I offered to make it! So off to the fabric shop yesterday afternoon.

Quirky as she is, in the very best way, this was the fabric chosen! She still wanted to go with the polka dot 'traditional' element but have it in a more fun way. And who doesn't love a good teapot?

The pieces ready to be made into a skirt!

This was a brilliant way to discover that I can make a full 50's style circle skirt to measurements in an afternoon! I decided to make the best use of the sunshine and hand sew the zip in and do the slipstitching to finish the waistband in the sun! Something about the 50's styles is very summery, or at least I think it is.
One of the things I find interesting about this type of skirt is the combination of hand and machine stitching, and how simple it is to make very effectively.
Pre-shortening

The finished skirt!

Hopefully she will be able to model it for me later this week before I hand it over. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment