Saturday 8 June 2013

Wonderful news on the Set!

This morning I was greeted with an unexpected windfall in the form of camo netting! I was offered a loan of some camo netting - the stipulation being that I was not allowed to cut it or damage it in any way. The two pieces of netting, when stretched out, come to just shy of the proportions we need to cover the back wall of the Lighthouse studio.



My plan is to use the camo netting, with strips of fabric woven in, to create the effect of being in a Tudor courtyard, with a gap arch formed between the two pieces for a centre opening. I am going to leave space at the sides to be used as side entrances/exits as well and the plan is to have some fake roses in the arch way, representations of the Tudor rose.

In order to get the fabric I needed in budget to weave into the netting, I discovered that at B&Q - another of my new favourite places - there were sheets of 3mx3m pure cotton dust sheets that are actually very good quality - and only £15. My next task was to dye it green! I picked up two hand-wash dylon dye sachets, one Olive Green the other Tropical green, and used the only container big enough - a cleaned out wheelbarrow - to dye it.





I used the entire of the two sachets with 12 litres of warm water and 450g of salt.


With the help of my current set-props builder - the parental assistant - by the end of this week we shall have a bench/tomb built. This is a long plank of wood with added supports to help it hold the wait of our actors when they lie on it, that will double as a bench for the majority of the play and then be used for Juliet to lie on in her 'tomb'.

No comments:

Post a Comment