Monday 25 February 2013

Suits suits suits

The suits have been a plague on this project but after going through my research again with Grace we now have a much clearer view to what suits we want to get to the point that we were able to find some strong possibilities online. It seems that despite the designs and conversations, the idea of using the western, wide lapelled flared trousered suits had still lingered - but after presenting my research from last term that has died a death at last to be replaced by more period specific accurate concepts of the suits we need, which thankfully for us are also quite close to modern suits and much more available!
Grace has done a fantastic amount of research into places to find suits and has found some outlets for well known stores that are only available online. Now, armed with the possibilities we have looked at she has gone out to hunt in person again.
 
I have found that I am doing a remarkable amount of different jobs for this project, from modifying my designs and further character costume considerations to fabric sourcing to contacting actors for fittings and hunting for suits. It appears that this has not gone unnoticed by my tutors as I discovered in my tutorial this morning and I have been advised to take a step back and make sure that I am not doing too much and that I am not being asked to do a role that is not mine, and to look further into the role of the designer in theatre - but where does the role of the designer end? I have asked many of my peers this question and it seems to vary not only by designer but also by project.
 
I think that as productions evolve, the role of designer adapts, as all roles do, to suit the need of the project in order to help it thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment