Thursday 12 July 2012

In the end...Final Evaluation

Evaluation
When I began this project it was for the chance to work on a large scale live production and for the opportunity to work with carnival. I think at the beginning, even seeing the work of the previous years students it seemed did not seem as large a task as what it grew to be but with every new session the project grew and evolved into the final product. I formed a set of carnival designs for children and my dance leaders. Through progressing and developing a prototype I gained experience in working with a wide variety of materials and techniques. There was a good amount of problem solving and trouble shooting to this project, when issues arose and required swift and decisive action to resolve them. I went on to form a budget, and develop a set of lesson plans for four school sessions working with my tutors and teachers to make sure that the tasks were well suited to the children involved. I gained experience in sourcing large amounts of materials for creating the costumes and my 3 dance leader costumes.

Session preparation was a mammoth but manageable task only achievable through strict time management. The sessions themselves were an intensive learning curve in the children's working speed and capabilities but rewarding watching the children learning new artistic skills and watching the costumes beginning to form. It was good to learn how to, in some small way, teach and give the children interesting information and engaging them in a project that they would never have been able to undertake without Moving Tides. I wanted the children to be able to make as much of the costumes as possible, and while I was restricted by the rules and regulations of the school in what the children were allowed to work with I believe I achieved this.

In any form of performance, everything can change in a moment and you have to be constantly prepared for any eventuality. In this case, the performance was cancelled but it was the journey to this point that made this project so special and I would like to work on outdoor events again as it has been an incredible and rewarding experience. I was able to use materials that I had no experience with and may not have ever used otherwise which I have since become proficient with. It has helped me grow and develop as a designer and taught me making skills by experimentation and the advice and experience of my tutors and peers. The school sessions and working with the children helped me to develop organisational skills that are far more in depth then I possessed before and that I will take with me in my future projects and into my career.

For me the most rewarding part of this project has been meeting and working with so many different groups of people, from Kinetika and my peers to the teachers and children at the school. I feel this has helped my confidence in my skills improve, in all aspects of my professional life and in communicating my ideas to different groups of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment