Saturday 7 July 2012

The Saga of the Crystals, and the Map...

For those of you new to my blog - being that it has been an incredibly busy few weeks I have been remis in keeping things up to date!

To fill you in on the last few days - one of the 3 sets of props I was asked to make is done, and already filming has started! After being given 4 crystals on thursday (3 rough cut amethysts and a citrine, sizes between 3 and 5 inches long) I was tasked to create 'holders' for them that would make them stand an inch off the ground, and leaving a hole in the bottom to allow for the possible use of an LED to shine a light up through the crystal - all before the end of the day on Friday as filming was starting on Saturday and the crystals were in the first set of scenes to be shot. The actual look and materials used for the holders was left up to me.

I chose to make them look like roungh 'cut' metal, specifically aged gold. For this I used blue foam, which I cut at fine jagged angles and points in opposing directions using a hot wire. I formed 2 main halves for the crystals to sit in the centre of in a circle I cut to allow the crystal to sit on top and the LED to be inserted underneath. I then formed small pieces and off-cuts to be added to make it look as though the crystal had been inserted into melted gold and then had the gold cut away around it. To fix the casings together and add the extra pieces I used a hot glue gun, which was very effective in holding it together and creating a solid prop.

I began painting them using gold metalic acrylic, with acrylic payne's grey sparingly over the top so that the grey only touched the lines and angles sticking out, to add to the aged effect. I was aided in the painting by wardrobe mistress and costume designer Natalie Oakley, and costume maker Louise Tring.

Now the task is to create the map! I have begun by getting 3 sheets of large paper = donated = and I am in the process of tea staining them for an aged, worn effect. I am achieving this by quite litterally pouring water with tea bags soaked in it over the paper, and then hanging it up to dry, and then repeating the process - for which I am having to use my shower due to messiness of the task. Here's to tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment