Thursday 12 July 2012

Last of the Props Complete

After having the production team decide at the last minute to leave the coffee grinder plain instead of having it decorated and broken down, I moved on to and have at last finished the final prop for the Bournemouth University film Burning Kingdom, a map of the fantasy land in which it is set. The guildelines I was given for the map were very loose - it had to be large, aged, have a hill and some ruins, and needed to be done in a caligraphy style.


It contains castles, forests, rivers and lakes, 3 mountain ranges, hills, settlements and a port, a set of ruins and a tower that came out resembling Sway tower in the New Forest. I put in as much detail as I could without overfilling, and overall think I have produced a good effect. I used tea to age the paper and create a bigger distinction between the water and the land. I dropped it round to the head of wardrobe and costume designer Natalie this morning allong with some pieces of aged 'parchment' aged with the same techniques as the map.

Reflection:
This was my first specific props role! It was an interesting project to be involved in, full as most productions are of last minute changes. Having only a small role in the production I have been able to come on board and finish very quickly, in a short burst of work, but it has helped me expand my skills. I had barely used the blue foam and hot wire before this project but am now (relatively) proficient in using it. With every project I grow as a practitioner, and while this was very busy what with having so many things on the go at once, I am glad that I took it on as it alowed me to see that I can multi-task to extreme levels though I do not think I will take on this many projects again at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment