Friday 16 November 2012

The ever changing fairies

In my last meeting with Gareth, I decided to bring in three strong options based on our previous tutorials to how the fairies could look.
Yesterday was the big decision meeting to decide which one would be progressed! The one that Gareth chose was a very naturalistic view, tan coloured with long flared trousers, Oberon bare chested and Titania in a crop top.
 
Today I saw Kenneth, our director, on a query about the Mechanicals doubling as fairies, as I am designing there costumes as fairies, and he brought up Oberon and Titania. On seeing the designs, he did not like them as he found them too real, too much like ordinary western people. I had worried previously that in making them too much like real people of the 1970's that we were straying too far from the original concept, and this confirmed my fears. However, on discussing them further with Kenneth I realised that I had come up with something similar to what he wanted earlier in the design process about two weeks ago. After speaking with Kenneth this time, I think due to the amount of meetings we have had in the past we came up with a very clear idea of the concept and the feeling the designs should have, and I have come away with a much better idea of what will fit Kenneths vision of the piece.
 
On this decision I went to speak to my head tutor and year group leader Rebecca. As I had been in tutorials with Gareth with an opposing decision made just the day before I did not want it to appear as if I was ignoring the direction that I had been given by my tutors, however if I did not follow the director's view and vision of the piece then I would be failing not just the brief but the production itself. On discussion with Rebecca we agreed that I would need to defer to Kenneths vision of the performance over the guidance by Gareth, but that I would try to incorporate, if possible, aspects of the previous design, if only in terms of colour scheme.
 
I am now set to reconcile the two designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment