Saturday 10 November 2012

To London!

The grand fabric sourcing trip to London! An incredible day hurting the fabric shops with collabourating designer Oliver Barker, this had helped me tremendously. Sourcing for two sets of characters, with one having three different current incarnations, was at times verging on muddling but I had a couple of fantastic finds that I am very keen to use. I like fabric sourcing generally earlier in the process, even preliminary fabric sourcing just because it can do so much to inform the designs, and this time was no exception.
 
With a bag full of samples I have now got a much clearer idea of what the finished garments might look like. I will have to go back to London for some more sourcing but on the whole I believe I now have the bulk of what I need. A few of my samples came from higher end shops in Soho that unfortunately will not fit the budget at all, however with a clear sample of the fabrics that I want an alternative more fitting the budget can be sourced.
 
My favourite find has been this ;
 
 
A gorgous practically transparent fabric full of oranges, reds and blues that is covered in indian patterns that because of there translucence and size do not make the fabric look too busy, and with the colours and way the patterns have been place look very seventies psychadelic. I love the subtle but striking effect of the fabric over skin.

Fabric on skin to show how well the pattern shows up against skin as a background.
 
however what I feel makes this fabric incredibly exciting is when it is put over the red fabric I want to use on one of the Titania designs.
 
 
It is subtle but at the same time makes what is otherwise a beautiful draping bold red fabric have an edge, a subtle sheening pattern of colours that shift and change with movement as the light shifts and picks out different colours, and gives it an exciting mysterious quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment