Friday 9 November 2012

The final countdown - 3 designs

Today I was struck with a quandary. I have progressed through the concept to two different designs, both fitting with the concept and our directors vision of the piece.
 
I was called in by guest tutor Gareth who has asked me to bring him in a very specific design on Monday, based on some research he sent me, but that I had used to inform my other designs. While I liked the idea's that he included in what he was asking me for, I have not progressed to this, and and I am not sure if it fits with our directors vision of the play or entirely with our concept as it has progressed.
 
Therefore with yet another change presented to me, and with three weeks remaining until the final hand in, I am taking the advice that Gareth gave myself and Oliver in the first week. When faced with a set of characters that is being continually changed, put down strong options, and ask for a decision. I feel this is incredibly important this late in the design process as with such a short amount of time left I have spent the majority of my time and energies on the fairy designs and while I want them to be the best they can be, I do not want my Athenians to suffer from lack of attention.
 
Also the worry is that if I do not get the look of the fairy's pinned down to one set of designs that they will continue to be changed right up until the deadline and beyond, to the detriment of both the costumes, concept and characterisation.
 
Therefore I have requested a meeting with all my tutors on Monday with Oliver so that I can present them with the two options that I have progressed to and the design Gareth has requested so that I can finally get clear decision on where to take them.
 
I think that is one of the things that can make it difficult to be a student designer. When you are in industry you answer primarily to the Director and the production manager, and if you have one your collaborating designer. When you are a student director, you answer not just to them but to any and all tutors that you have who are informing and grading your work. It can therefore be difficult with so many people having creative input to create a design that will please everybody.
 
This is what I seek to do, I will not allow myself in the process to lose sight of the concept and our directors vision of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment