Wednesday 2 January 2013

Looking to the coming term

With less then a week until the new term starts, I have been thinking towards the work that lies ahead for A Midsummer Night's Dream. Before I go back next week, and am able I hope to retrieve my designs, I wish to make a better set of fabric experimentation samples to work with, for the benefit of my costume supervisor and makers. I was only able to do a small, initial experimentation sample before hand in and wish to go more in depth in my experimentation. Of the fabrics I wish to use for the fairies, knowing that I needed to experiment with them, I bought a minimum of half a meter of each, which leaves me a good amount of fabric to play with.
For my currently submitted sample I was experimenting with cutting leaf shapes from the different types and weights of fabric, piecing them together with the most sheer and 'light-weight' fabrics at the top, getting to the heavier ones going down, from sheers to pleather and velvet. tacking them together and working into them with paint. I want to use the time I have before we start back to work more with larger examples and working more into them, I also hope to experiment with the effects of working into them with heat guns and other materials.
I am hoping to get a lot of different textures and colours into the costumes, while not making them too busy or jarring with the 'rag-rug' set. I feel I am finally very much on the right track with the fairies. I need to work further on the Athenians, in particular the fabrics that I wish to use. While I am happy with the colours and silhouettes of the designs, there are still issues that need to be addressed, such as the seam lines and drape of the fabric on the figure. I know the effect that I want the costumes to have but I need to work more on the communication of this. I want the costumes to be very straight and unforgiving, to have little to no softness about them - which means using very inflexible fabric, in different degree's depending on character. Theseus and Hippolyta need to be in much more flexible costumes due to the fact they will be dancing, requiring a much larger range of movement then stiff fabrics will allow. This is an issue that I need to explore more thoroughly.

For my secondary project for EMP I am submitting 10 principal costume designs for a Tudor set production of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. I have done a little preliminary research over the last term, but due to the demands of A Midsummer Nights Dream I still have much more research that I need to accumulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment