Friday 13 February 2015

Alterations and Customisations

With the arrival of the last shirt (though sadly not the trousers) today I started on the alterations and customisation of the costumes for Remix Gold!
The jobs for today;
-Altering the blue shirt that arrived yesterday
-Removing the sleeves from the black shirt
-Rhinestoning the black skirts - the larger skirt with blue rhinestones and the smaller with pink
The alterations to the shirts were straightforward. After cutting the sleeves of the blue shirt to equal lengths it was just a case of keeping them the same length while finishing them and creating a sort of mock 'cuff' which will be rhinestoned in black. For the black shirt, I simply removed the sleeves.

 Rhinestoning in process


Finished Rhinestoning- Pink
                     

In process Rhinestoning - Blue
Rhinestoning is a simple but incredibly time consuming job. I have managed to get all of the pink rhinestones (est. 350 in total) and half of the blue rhinestones also completed. I'm using 3.9mm hot fix rhinestones as I've found, personally, they're the best size to work with - smaller and you have to use vast amounts for any visible coverage from a distance, any larger and the glue takes so much longer to fix the extra time just isn't viable.
Usually I would keep going until I had completed the task before I called it a night but in this case, the rest of the alterations are fairly straightforward and the skirts are the largest rhinestoning tasks. The last time I did the Remix Gold costume, I ordered some slightly darker blue rhinestones then the ones I ordered for the costumes this time and I never used them, they ended up being unnecessary last time. This time however I believe I will be incorporating some of them onto one of the costumes this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment