Monday 3 December 2012

Final Post on SP!!!! And its all over...

This project has been, ultimately, the most transient I have done to date, with the sheer amount and variety of changes keeping up has been the ultimate challenge, and one that considering the obstacles of constant deadlines and the number of collaboratives to stay in keeping with I have managed to master.

In hindsight, if I could go back and do anything differently it would be to better stick to my own design judgement. When I felt the designs were becoming too realistic for Kenneths vision of the piece, I did voice my concerns but allowed myself to be steered along anyway even though I knew the risk. In hindsight therefore, and if the situation ever arrises again I will better trust my own judgement calls on the designs, as while this has been highly collaborative the designer, when they see something right or something wrong that they can justify in the designs must, when they feel there is strong enough cause, have the right and the conviction to stand up for their designs.

I also feel that I wish I had had more time. With the constancy of the costume changes I often feel I did not have time to do the needed in depth contextual research to be fully informed as the costumes were changing, and there is therefore the risk of historical errors, specifically in locational historical accuracy. However, as in the 1970's Greece was, due to the strict military regime, it reads as 1960's, and in this case the communication to the audience is paramount that it is indeed the 70's. Therefore I have taken artistic licence, in terms of suiting the costume to character and making it more recognisable as the 70's. In doing this I have endeavoured not to compromise the historical integrity, and locational integrity of the costumes, but there are therefore elements that, while 1970's, are not specifically GREEK 1970's.
This is a gamble, but one that I feel is necessary in order to keep to Kenneths vision of the piece and audience communication.

On the whole, I have found that working with such  wide team of collaborators to be a challenging but rewarding experience and has, strangely, helped me better find my own voice as a designer. While it has been a challenge trying to co-ordinate so many different opinions and idea's into the designs, and there have at times been conflicts that have forced me to have to make difficult decisions, often at the cost of time needed to be spent on other designs in order to get the more fluctuating designs settled in terms of concept, this has also meant that I now have a better understanding of what is required in industry, and the courage of conviction needed in standing for your work while still being part of a collaborative creative team.

I have enjoyed very much working with Oliver and Kenneth on this production and anticipate enjoying it next term as we realise the production.

No comments:

Post a Comment