Wednesday 21 March 2012

Presentation - Reflection and moving forward!


Today was the day of the big presentation to the Moving Tides team and the makeup students we will be working with. It was great to see what the others had come up with, and really interesting to see the different directions people had gone and how they reached them.

For me, it was useful but has left me in a bit of a quandry. We were asked to compile our idea's into a powerpoint presentation of 2-3 slides...






My initial idea was that I would have the 2 options of either the Giant slug as the focus with the kids taking turns carrying it, with the ones not carrying it doing the dance they are having workshops on in the decorated T-shirts and masks (preferably the ones without the horns as if they are carrying the slug they had the chance of being knocked off) and as a second option they could have the individual costumes of the horned masks with the decorated T-shirts and decorated slug capes.

Now after having had the meeting the team liked the idea of the Giant Slug, and the slug capes - and it has been suggested that instead of the masks I use makeup - supplied by the makeup team we will be working with - to save on time and instead have the Giant Slug AND the Slug Capes, WITH the decorated T-shirts. However there is the issue of whether we will have enough time in the four workshops and how much time I will have outside of that to put in, and if the budget will cover it.I am perfectly willing to put in whatever work required outside of the workshop hours, but I do want to have as much of it as possible done by the students so that they can truly feel that the costumes and creations are theirs.
The team decided to have a meeting this afternoon to discuss my designs and the other designs for Moving Tides and then get back to me with what they want me to do - hopefully in the de-briefing session in the morning.

In the meantime I have had a rethink on the way to make the giant slug - this time using willow instead of my origional play tunnel skeleton idea, and have decided to test the viability of the Giant Slug by making a mini prototype using willow for the skeleton instead. I have aleady started by using the willow ovals I made to test creating shapes in our willow workshop. Now I need to finished the skeleton tomorrow and go fabric hunting for the best option to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment