Monday 29 October 2012

Designing away

Today was the tutorial for the first of my initial ideas - and it went better then I had expected! There were a few problems, if there weren't at this stage I would be worried it is after all early stages, but the comments I received from tutor Gareth were very constructive. I have been advised to make my Athenians more linear and angular, my fairies more realistic and everyone more sexual.

I will be looking further into the Indian culture, specifically at Ashrams and the communes started in India in the 1970's. I have - currently - six Indian dancers also to design for, gender unknown but I know I have at least one of each gender as Theseus and Hippolyta are doubling as Indian dancers. 

There has been one piece of advice that while at this stage is all well and good could lead to problems - specifically in BUDGET later on. I have quite a large number of costume changes for the four lovers (Demetrius, Lysander, Helena and Hermia) already, and I had planned on two for the forest - from their Athenian clothing to their undergarments, then from there neat undergarments to a set that were identical but broken down as they have been pulled about and torn in the forest. Gareth has now suggested that I have numerous doubles, in various stages of wear, that they could change every time they leave the stage. Aesthetically this could work very well, as a visual representation of their losing their Athenian neatness, but can the budget support that many costumes? 

We already currently have over 40 costumes between mine and Olivers with minimal costume changes, and this would push that even further. With a £1000 budget - this is starting to look like its going to be tight. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment