Thursday 3 May 2012

The Dye Room - problems are afoot

Today I spent the entirety of my day in the dye room - and not to the best of results.

My plan has been to use Dylon Dye for the 23 individual capes - from the same mix as the giant slug - only I have hit a snag. After mixing the dye, I did numerous tester samples on spare bits of silk and they came out perfect, so I began to put in my silk meters - and here is where an interesting calamity happened.

The first cape I dyed came out a beautiful, dark, almost purply pink and really vibrant. I then put in a batch of 5, which ALL came out a pale, SALMON pink. I added more of the initial mix (in exact proportion) and put in the next two batches of 5 - and both batches came out a pale salmon pink. This has succeeded in baffling everyone I have consulted, and I plan to re-dye the silk tomorrow using a different dye.

No comments:

Post a Comment