Wednesday 30 May 2012

Breathe

I have realised I have been mentioning Breathe a lot as I have helped them, without explaining on here what Breathe actually is.

Breathe is the integrated dance company performing as part of the Battle For the Winds performance at the Weymouth Olympic opening ceremony - as part of the cultural Olympiad. For our Concepts in Contet unit (for my designs see the post label CIC) myself and the other AUCB level 5 costume designers were responsible for designing the breather costumes.
The collection of designs was taken and formed into cohesive, overall designs by costume designer Kate McStraw -  and now they are almost finished being made for the performance. Every week the level 6 breathe supervisors and level 5 makers have been running the Breathe Together club at the AUCB to allow others on our course and members of the public to come and make parts of the costumes - this also helps to get the costumes finished sooner.

Today I was helping with the last Breathe of the term. Rather then the drawstring bags and barnacle making that I have been doing the last few sessions, today I was finishing the decoration on one of the 'Jesters' collars. This meant forming braids and bows out of strips of leftover fabric to compliment the colours of the collar and stitching them onto the pre-prepared collar.

The Collar I was working on - the added braids and bow are my handiwork

My Moving Tides sketchbook is almost done now, with two days left to hand in. It is strange going back through my work and realising just how much I have actually done! It has been such a rollercoaster, but a fun and incredibly rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment