Tuesday 1 May 2012

Dye Room - The Giant Slug

Today I started on the silk dying for the giant slug - as tomorrow in late night study is the only opportunity I will have in the next week to spray it as it is 8m long.

This was my first time dying using the vats, and so I called upon the experience of coursemate and dye expert Andrew Layton to assist me. After experimentation with quantities, we found that a mix of Dylon Dyes Flamingo Pink, Cherry Flame and Tulip Red gave a wonderful, deep and vibrant reddish pink.


Initially we tried a mix of just Flamingo pink and tulip red but that gave a pale baby pink. I felt that this didn't have the brightness or vibrancy needed for carnival costumes, and so we added 2 tsps of Cherry Flame to the mix and it gave the deep reddish pink that we settled on for the slug. As the black we shall be spraying it with tomorrow is blue based, it is likely the area around the middle will go a lighter, more purplish pink around the black as I have found often happens with the samples I have tested this method on. I feel this looks very effective and gives it a more graduated look.


On reflection I would have liked it to be a less reddish pink, but that it needed to be that strong to have the boldness and impact needed for carnival.

No comments:

Post a Comment