Monday 7 May 2012

Prep Prep Prep - and the pain of Bank Holidays

Todays task - ironing, cutting out the capes to shape and button holes!

I have discovered that rather then giving me a day off, Bank Holiday Monday just means a day of working on whatever I can without access to the studio's and the equiptment and space I want to use.

The ironing took an extreme amount of time, due to the fact that silk is surprisingly difficult to handle, with a tendency to crease far too easilly.

I used a pattern piece for the capes to make sure I got them all to the same shape and size. It helped to make sure that I got all the button holes marked out in the centre. The button holes are for the cable ties to stick out through from their plastazote base.
Thanks to a digital sewing machine with a button hole preset the button holes were swift and easy to do. I backed them with some donated stayflex to make sure that the fabric wouldn't ruckle.


Now I have to overlock them all at uni, and cut down and overlock the edges of the giant slug. I also have to finish cutting the plastazote circles for the bases of the cable ties, and puncture them so that the children can put the cable ties through. I also need to cut out the spots from the high vis jackets as I have found that the childrens scissors are too blunt to cut the fabric propperly.

This is a lot to do in one day.
Next update - tomorrow and second session eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment