Sunday 29 April 2012

First Lesson Eve

Prototypes finished, and multiples completed!

Over the last 3 days, my task was to create 23 of the white masks out of plastazote. This needed to be done in 3 stages.
1 - Vac forming the faces
2 - Using a heat gun to heat form the horns over the moulds I created.
3 - Cutting out the mask and eye holes






I have also completed the 7 black domino masks, also to be taken in tomorrow. After the introduction of the designs for the 7 in the giant slug, the plan is to get the papier mache finished for drying tomorrow. For the other 23,  we are starting straight in on the mask painting, with the hope to get the mask painting completed for tomorrow.
I have also managed to get all 300 cable ties dyed, so they are all set to go!


THURSDAY!

On thursday, we presented our prototypes to Sarah Caldwell, from the Moving Tides steering group. Thankfully she liked our designs and we are all set to go ahead! I have also finally discovered a way to make the cable tie tentacles stand out - by attaching them into a base of plastazote, to then be glued onto the cape, and velcro onto the T-shirt.
Here is an unfortunately very bad photograph of the prototype costume, being modeled by myself.



The pink is not strong on this one, no where near as strong and bright as I hope to get it, it was a sample piece the right size.


Reflection and evaluation on the project so far:
On the whole I think I have worked quite well to the brief. I have created a costume to stand out from the crowd and from the other carnival cotumes, and something which I hope is recognisable as a sea slug. I think I would have liked to have designed something with more height, but I have kept to the sea slugs and made something I hope the kids will enjoy.
For the prototype, I was very focussed on getting the masks finished in time for the first workshop session, and on reflection would have liked a lot more time to get my prototype up to a better standard, but on the whole I think I didn't do too badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment