Sunday 1 April 2012

The problem with Habotai

I have discovered through this project a new found love of Silk Habotai, it is a brilliant fabric, light, very accepting of dye and perfect for the costumes I have designed in all but 1 respect - I need to find it at 140cm width, and to find it in that width is coming out expensive.
I have managed to find it at £7.99 per meter, which is very good for silk habotai! But it is still expensive, considering that I only have £10 per costume, this is eating up a considerable section of the budget. As I explained in a previous post it comes out at more expensive to buy 2 lengths of thinner width and sew them together, as the cheapest for that would be through uni at £8.70.
I thought I may have found the answer in the form of a very lightweight silk habotai from online, but upon recieving a sample of it I have discovered it is like a strong tissue paper, light, see through and unfortunately I dont believe it is going to be strong or durable enough for the costumes. However I cannot be sure from the sample so I am ordering a metre of it to check. This would solve a lot of problems since it is coming out at less then £6 per metre for over 10 metre's. From the same website I have also decided to order samples of a couple of different types of fabric I haven't seen before in the hopes that one of them will be suitable.

1 comment:

  1. This blog contains lots of of information I want to get before. You have just list them here that I can save my time in my work. What I can say is thank you bro. Hope you can write more good articles in the next days. And I will keep reading your blog and pay some attention to your blog.silk habotai fabric

    ReplyDelete