Monday 30 April 2012

The First Session

Today was the first session at the school, and it was a smashing success. I must admit to being a bit daunted before going in but the teacher I'm working with was brilliant and got the kids settled down, and after introducing me to them let me take the lead. I started by introducing the inspiration behind the designs, and the designs themselves. I was very pleased (and relieved) by the childrens reactions, as they really liked them.

My big worry was getting the 7 children for the giant slug. When the teacher asked for volunteers, exactly 7 children put their hands up, so it all worked out.
I started out by explaining to the class what the 23 would be doing. I had managed to get the paint sorted and mixed before the session so for the 23 with the individual costumes they went straight into it. Their teacher then supervised them while I got the 7 in the giant slug sorted out. After giving them their black domino masks I measured round all their heads and got them to blow up their balloons to the size of their heads, and started them off on their papier mache. A few of them asked me to stay with them and help them since they had never done papier mache before.

The 23 worked really very fast before lunch, getting far more done then I had thought they would, and so myself and the teacher decided that they should cut the strips of paper for the frills this session rather then the next one. Our teacher thought this would be a good exercise in mesuring for the kids and worked really well. I'm really glad we managed to get some propper learning in - I wanted the kids to get something more out of it then just a fun session.
 
During lunch myself and the teacher decided that I should stay with the 7 doing papier mache and supervise them while she and her TA supervised the last of the painting.

We thought they might end up finishing early considering how fast they got through the work in the first hour. After lunch however they slowed right down, in the end they still hadn't quite finished their masks, and the 7 doing the giant slug still needed to add to their papier mache. The 7 with me, a few of them asked if they could come back in their breaks during the week and add more to it, and after asking the teacher about it she has agreed to let them.

After the session the teacher and myself sat down to make an action plan for the next session, when I will be bringing in the capes and the giant slug for the first time.

Below is all the completed work from todays session.





Today the session was everything I could have hoped for. The kids were brilliant, they liked the designs and had fun while still getting on with their tasks. The teachers were all so encouraging and helpful, it was a true joy.

On reflection, next week I wont underestimate how much the kids can get done in one session and will make sure I have enough for them to do if they happen to finish early.

No comments:

Post a Comment